Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Begining ...

The idea behind this blog came one day while strolling around Neiman Marcus after a very successful client appointment, I reached into my Louis Vuitton to pay for some overpriced face cream and found a diaper, one toddler size hair tie, and an empty sandwich bang containing nothing but the crumbs of old cheerios. It dawned on me; these two worlds could not be more different. And yet, I’m living in this parallel universe. I started looking for community, something us women do when we need to feel like we are not in this thing called motherhood alone and realized no one was speaking my story.

I don’t quite fit into the world of The Working Mom or The Stay at Home Mom, because I am smack in the middle of both. I am the woman who is somehow trying to keep both feet in motherhood and in her career all while trying to live with some semblance of grace and maintain my chic inner self. Seems impossible, but for the past three years, I have been doing it, and while I'm exhausted, I have two healthy kids, one happy marriage and a successful business ... I may be on to something.

It’s hard, at times it seems impossible and pointless. Everyday I second guess my decisions and often wish I could do one or the other. But when failure is not an option it is amazing what a woman can do. With the new economy and the rising cost of living, few families can really afford to be single income households. I certainly wouldn’t be able to give the life I want to give my children on my husband’s income alone. So we made the decision to start my company while I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. If I was going to have to leave the house to work, I was going to do what I loved, and the decision is paying off.

Switching back and forth between business owner and doting mother has become my greatest challenge. On one hand I have a hour long debate deciding if someone’s Louboutins are the best option for them to wear to keynote a function or talking at length with a client about how the insecurities of her teenage years are adversely affecting her body image. Then, I go home and have to tell my 3 year old not put her fingers in her dog’s backside and cheer pooping on the potty like I’m watching the Phillies win the World Series. Successful business woman running an image consulting company by day, young mother of two girls still finding her way in the world by night. I thought, if I wrote about my experiences, it could bring other moms like me together, start a dialog and create a community.

I have to work, but I love my work. My daughters are my world, Maddie (3) and Ava (2mths), are the reason I work as insanely hard as I do. I want them to know that they can create whatever they want for themselves in the world, and that women hold the power to do amazing things – who better to show them this first hand than their own mommy? So begins my new blog, which will be updated regularly with my thoughts, concerns and stories about my experience as a new mom in this new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment