Friday, April 30, 2010

Another Reason to Burn Your Sweatpants

The crack team of reporters over at the Today Show spent 5 minutes - that's an eternity in TV time - telling women that sweatpants are killing their sex life (for proof click here). What a news flash! I don't have a PhD in anything other than how to be fabulous and I could have told you that. Seriously ladies, pull yourselves together. Why is it that we get married and waive the white flag of fashion defeat? Yes, yes, I've heard you a million times over, they're comfortable. Here's the deal, your husband HATES them, you look terrible in them and I'm going to go out on a limb and say you may not feel your sexiest ... no? This sweatpants debate made be think of how easy - and acceptable - it has become to completely let ourselves go.

You and your husband got together because you liked how each other looked. Then, luckily, you found out you shared similar beliefs, made each other laugh or discovered that he had a HUGE bank account, in any case, you dug each other from the start. If you're wondering why the spark may be dimming in the loving department, take a good look at what you are putting on after work or on the weekends. Are you looking? Now, ask yourself, would you want to date that?

Date, a novel concept for a married couple but absolutely necessary for the health of your relationship. Some of the happiest couples I know schedule time together and really honor it. It's the only way to stay connected. Remember the feeling you had way back in the day, when you knew you had a date with your future hubby? Ask my sorority sisters, I was a nut case when it came to Brian, and the mocking I received was well deserved, but now, I look forward to our quite time together just like I did when I was 20. Unfortunately, with two kids and two insanely busy work schedules an official date is few and far between, which makes it all the more important to look good for each other on a normal night at home.

I spend my work days running in 3 inch heels, so at the end of the day all I want to do is take off my Spanx and hop into something comfy. I've discovered the only way I won't wear the ugliness is if it's not in the house. If you were on a diet would you keep chocolate cake on hand? No. So try it for yourself. Get rid of every paint stained, grass stained, and you-only-walk-the-dog-in-but-then-you're-in-them-all-day-pants and see how much nicer you look, how much better you feel and how the hubby responds.

I suggest putting together a uniform of sorts, easy pieces you can grab and be dressed in 5 minutes. Mine is pretty straightforward: A pair of black leggings from Hue, long soft tee shirts from the BP department in Nordstrom, and Tory Burch flats. Throw on a long necklace and some lip gloss, my favorite is Chanel Glossimer in Spark and you look glam with no effort. On the weekends, you must have a fantastic pair of jeans - spare no expense, a great fitting pair of jeans will change your life, or at least how you feel about yourself. Put on a pair of wedge sandals and a cute cardigan and tank and you're done.

No more excuses, because really, that's what they are. Your size, weight, and stress level may be the reason you gave up but don't let them be the reason you keep yourself this way. There are stores and brands accessible at all price points to fit any size need, and if you're stressed, well, live with it, this is America we're all stressed, so you might as well look good while you're freaking out.

The lesson here is twofold. First, your husband is like a puppy dog, he just wants to know that you care and are putting in an effort. If you're being honest, you probably have asked him to give up a lot or even if you just make him watch the occasional romantic comedy, you owe him some lipstick and smooth legs. Second, there is nothing wrong with adding a little bit of glamour to your everyday life, it doesn't make you self centered or a bad mom, it will make you feel great, your hubby will be pleasantly surprised and your relationship will stay or get back on track.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN and AMEN! I preach this all the time. Another one I hate to hear is "I don't care if my husband hates my hair like this...I think it's cute!" What happened to trying to look good FOR HIM? What happened to trying to get his heart racing when he sees you at the end of the day? Just remember ladies, there are those OTHER women who are willing!

    ReplyDelete